Use the App’s “How to…” function to:
- Search specific items such as plastic bottles, cardboard, and food waste;
- Learn their most sustainable endpoints; and
- Find out where to place them at the RDF.
The App’s event calendar keeps you up to date on:
- The RDF’s hours;
- Opening and closing days for the Reusables Area;
- Special collection days for paint, hazardous waste, and shredding.
Use the App to StepUp!:
- Apply for a permit;
- Sign up to volunteer;
- Learn more about how to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle in Wellesley.
By using the RDF and the RDF App, residents can help the environment and contribute revenue to the Town. Solid waste generated in Wellesley makes up approximately 6% of the Town's greenhouse gas emissions, which come from organic material decomposing in a landfill. Reducing, reusing, and recycling practices - especially food waste recycling - diverts this material away from landfills and lowers Wellesley's waste-related carbon footprint. And the granularity of the RDF’s recycling system yields high quality, valuable plastic and paper products that the RDF sells to distributors for a profit, generating money for the Town.
The RDF App also supports the Wellesley Climate Action Plan by expanding and enhancing access to RDF services for residents. The Climate Action Plan provides a roadmap for achieving town-wide greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals, including the goal of net zero emissions by 2050.