Common Victualler License

Every food service establishment with the capabilities for cooking, preparing, and serving food and which provides seating for food consumption is required to have a Common Victualler License (CVL). 

To apply:

  • Review the Common Victualler Regulations and Application . Complete the form and include any attachments. 
  • Obtain all applicable initial plan reviews and/or preliminary approvals from the Building, Health, and Fire Departments, and the Design Review Board, before the Common Victualler License (CVL) application is submitted to the Select Board's Office.
  • Deliver the completed and signed application form and attachments (i.e., tax certification, resumes, floor plan, and applicable parking & traffic information), along with a check for the application fee of $50.00 payable to the Town of Wellesley, to the Select Board's Office, on the third floor of Town Hall, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • After the application materials are received and reviewed for completeness, an interview will be scheduled with the Executive Director to discuss the applicant's plans. The applicant will then be required to appear before the Select Board during one of their regular public meetings. Staff in the Select Board's Office will notify the applicant by telephone of the date and time of the interview.
  • The Select Board reserves the right to postpone CVL approval until all issues and concerns raised by the Board are addressed by the applicant to the Board's satisfaction; and also reserves the right to deny CVL approval if the applicant fails to meet the application requirements, or does not/cannot resolve the issues and concerns raised by the Board.
  • Once the Select Board approves the CVL application, the applicant will need to obtain all required Building, Health, Fire, and Design Review final approvals (i.e., permits, reviews, and/or inspections) before the CVL will be issued. If the applicant fails to obtain a required approval at any point in the process, the issuance of the CVL will be withheld until the issue or problem is resolved to the satisfaction of the appropriate approving authority.

Businesses considering serving alcohol should review the Town of Wellesley Alcohol License information.