DEI Task Force
DEI Task Force
To demonstrate Wellesley’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and help establish Wellesley as a more welcoming and inclusive town for all individuals, the Select Board office has created the Wellesley Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiative. The goal of this initiative is to chart a path for the deliberate work needed to be more inclusive and equitable as we make decisions and interact as a community.
In April 2023, the DEI Task Force successfully proposed an Anti-Racism and Anti-Bias Resolution to Annual Town Meeting which included an appropriation of $100,000 to complete an equity audit for the Town. The equity audit is intended to be a broad study that assesses all aspects of equity – race, ethnicity, gender, national origin, color, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, socioeconomic status, or other socio-culturally significant factors. The Select Board staff is currently working with the task force to develop a request for proposals for a consultant to conduct the audit.
For more information, read the Equity Audit Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
DEI Task Force Work Plan
The DEI Task Force was formed in December 2021, and is comprised of Town officials, thought leaders, faith leaders, individuals with marginalized identities, and others. In the first phase of its work, the group used the definition of racial equity to guide their efforts, foster understanding, and develop action steps for Wellesley.
Wellesley DEI Task Force Phase I tasks:
- Create a vision statement for racial equity in Wellesley
- Develop a mission statement for this work
- Develop and identify a framework or work plan that supports the goal of racial equity
- Establish community guiding principles and intentional practices to support anti-bias, nondiscriminatory and anti-racist attitudes and behaviors
Phase I Resources
- Article 17 Motion: DEI Resolution and Equity Audit Funding Request
- Wellesley DEI Definitions and FAQs (March 15, 2023)
- DEI Task Force Phase I news release (December 21, 2022)
- DEI Task Force Phase I Report (Updated March 10, 2023)
- DEI Task Force Phase I presentation to Select Board
- DEI Task Force interest form
- DEI Task Force Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)