Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in Wellesley
Racial equity: the societal condition when racial identity cannot be used to predict individual or group outcomes (e.g. wealth, income, employment, criminal justice, housing, health care, education) and outcomes for all groups are improved. This includes elimination of policies, practices, attitudes, and cultural messages that reinforce differential outcomes by race or that fail to eliminate them.
Wellesley is a community that highly values diversity, human dignity, and respect for all individuals. Our community, however, like so many others across the country, continues to experience incidents of discrimination, bias, injustice, and inequity.
Read the Wellesley Select Board statements supporting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for all in our community.
- Tolerance Pledge, adopted December 2016
- Anti-Racism and Anti-Bias Statement, adopted February 2021
- Anti-Semitism Statement, adopted November 2022
DEI Task Force
To demonstrate Wellesley’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and help establish Wellesley as a more welcoming and inclusive town for all individuals, the Select Board office has created the Wellesley Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiative. The goal of this initiative is to chart a path for the deliberate work needed to be more inclusive and equitable as we make decisions and interact as a community.
Recognizing the complexity and interconnectedness of these two concepts, a DEI Task Force was formed in December 2021 to help shape this work. Comprised of Town officials, thought leaders, faith leaders, individuals with marginalized identities, and others, this group will use the definition of racial equity to guide their efforts, foster understanding, and develop action steps for Wellesley.
Participants on the Wellesley DEI Task Force worked on the following tasks in Phase I:
- Create a vision statement for racial equity in Wellesley
- Develop a mission statement for this work
- Develop and identify a framework or work plan that supports the goal of racial equity
- Establish community guiding principles and intentional practices to support anti-bias, nondiscriminatory and anti-racist attitudes and behaviors
- DEI Task Force Phase I news release (December 21, 2022)
- DEI Task Force Phase I Report (December 6, 2022)
- DEI Task Force Phase I presentation to Select Board
- DEI Task Force interest form
- DEI Task Force Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with other questions or to learn more.