The Wellesley Board of Selectmen will host a public forum on diversity on Monday, January 14, from 7:15 to 8:15 p.m. to hear perspectives from community members about how welcoming Wellesley is as a place to live, learn, work and visit. A panel discussion featuring representatives from different segments of the community will take place during the Selectmen’s regular weekly meeting.
In December 2016, the Selectmen adopted a Tolerance Pledge to help guide its decisions for the community and demonstrate the vital importance Wellesley places on respecting all individuals.
“We’re proud that Wellesley has become a much more diverse community and that our residents continue to be action-minded and inclusive,” said Jack Morgan, Board chair. “The Selectmen are committed to encouraging not only tolerance but compassion for one another irrespective of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation or political views.”
The discussion will feature perspectives from various areas of the community including: Wellesley Public Schools, Wellesley Free Library (WFL) and English as a Second Language (ESL) programs, houses of worship, World of Wellesley, and town business owners and residents. Panelists who will share their thoughts on how welcoming Wellesley is today and how the town can improve on its efforts are:
- Elaine Bannigan, Owner/Broker, Pinnacle Residential Properties
- Sarah Sarchet Butter, Pastor, Wellesley Village Church
- Michelle Chalmers, President, World of Wellesley
- Karen Evans, Wellesley Free Library, ESL Program Coordinator
- Jamie Jurgensen, Department Head, Wellesley Free Library
- David Lussier, Superintendent, Wellesley Public Schools
- Jerry Lu, President, WeCAN
- Lilia Diaz, Wellesley resident originally from Venezuela
- Ruslan Mikhailov, Wellesley resident originally from Russia
- Mary Qin, Wellesley resident originally from China
The Diversity Forum is held annually as part of the Town’s World of Wellesley event calendar; it is open to all. The Selectmen’s meeting and the forum will also be live streamed by Wellesley Media on Comcast channels 8 & 9 or Verizon channels 39 & 40.
See the complete agenda for the January 14, 2019 Board of Selectmen’s meeting.