It's ideal weather to celebrate International Walk, Ride & Roll Day (iWalk) on Wednesday, October 4, 2023! Join with students and adults around the world by ditching your car and walking or biking to school or work.
Using transportation options other than cars can help ease traffic congestion and help families build lifelong healthy habits. Wellesley participates in the Massachusetts Safe Routes to School program which has great resources to help families find safe, healthy ways to get to and from school.
Here are some ideas from Wellesley Public Schools (WPS):
- Look for crosswalks, stoplights, and quieter streets to help plan the best route to school.
- Join with neighbors and others on your route to set up a walking school bus where adults take turns walking groups of kids to school on specific days.
- Use your school PTO website and directory to connect with other families walking or biking to school.
- If you live too far from school to walk the entire way, consider driving part way to school and walking the last 15 minutes.
- Ride the bus to school (or take public transportation to work) to keep more cars off the road.
If you're interested in volunteering for the Safe Routes to School program, contact School Committee Vice Chair Catherine Mirick at firstname.lastname@example.org or Select Board Vice Chair Colette Aufranc at email@example.com
By doing our part, we can help make every day a walk to school day!