Get ready to celebrate the 2023 Wellesley's Wonderful Weekend!
This annual community event begins on Friday, May 19 and runs through Sunday, May 21. The schedule of activities includes festivities appropriate for all ages. Please note: Due to the possibility of rain, please check the Wellesley's Wonderful Weekend website or the Wellesley Police Department Twitter account regularly for updated scheduling information.
Friday, May 19
- Boston Tea Party displays at the Wellesley Public Library Main Branch (530 Washington Street). Check the Library website for hours.
Saturday, May 20
- All day Saturday & Sunday - 18th Century Military Encampment, Morton Field Park - Royal Irish Artillery, 26th Yankee Division. Note: Cannon firing on Saturday, every hour on the hour.
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Pancake Festival* at Wellesley High School — Wellesley Key Club, Wellesley Kiwanis Club, 50 Rice Street
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Free Eye Exams at the Wellesley High School –Wellesley Lions Club, 50 Rice Street
- 9 to 10 a.m. – Morses Pond Trail Guided Walk – Wellesley Trails Committee, Meet at town beach access road gate, end of Turner Road
- 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. – Walking Tour of Wellesley Hills Square – Wellesley Historical Society, meet at the Tollhouse, 229 Washington Street
- 10 a.m. to Noon – Bike Safety Rodeo – Wellesley Police and Wellesley Kiwanis, Tailby Parking Lot, Linden and Crest Roads. For children under twelve.
- 9 a.m. to Noon – “Touch a Truck/Fill a Truck ” & Open House at Wellesley Department of Public Works — 30 Municipal Way (off Rt 9) Note: Event will move to Water & Sewer garage bay if it rains.
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Open House at Wellesley Municipal Light Plant, 4 Municipal Way (off Rt. 9)
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Open House at Wellesley Police Station, 485 Washington Street
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Open House at Wellesley Main Fire Station #2
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Open House at Council on Aging/Tolles Parsons Center, 500 Washington Street
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Open House at Wellesley Historical Society, Stanwood House, 323 Washington Street
- CANCELED DUE TO RAIN (to be rescheduled this fall) – Art in the Park
- 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. – “Pups in the Park,” Rotary Club of Wellesley, Friends of Wellesley Veterans, Inc., and Wellesley Celebrations Committee, Hunnewell Field
- 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. – Build Your Own — Nancy’s Troll and Fairy House Event” — at Pickle Point on Morses Pond — in memory of Nancy Bagdasarian. Wellesley Conservation Land Trust, Crosstown Trail. Parking area opposite 49 Russell Road (for elementary school kids)
- CANCELED DUE TO RAIN (limited showing of the artwork will happen during Sunday’s picnic instead) – Charity Art Show and Sale — Wellesley Society of Artists. Funding Wellesley High School Art Achievements Awards.
- 4 p.m. to Dusk — “Paint the Town – Plein Air Painting Event” — Wellesley Society of Artists and Page Waterman Gallery — Town Hall Grounds, Corner of Washington and Grove Streets, Wellesley Square.
- 4 p.m. – Veterans Ecumenical Memorial Mass at Saint Paul Church, 502 Washington Street, Wellesley Veterans Council
Sunday, May 21
- 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. – Guided Bird Walk at Morses Pond — Wellesley Conservation Land Trust. Park on wooded side of Turner Road. Meet at Turner Road Gate.
- 8 a.m. – Wonder Run 5K Race* and
9 a.m. – Kids Fun Run* – Wellesley Hills Junior Women’s Club. Wellesley High School, 50 Rice Street.
- 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Antique Car Show “Wheels of Wellesley X” on Central Street. Organized by the Modifiers Car Club and the Wellesley Celebrations Committee (from Juniper Restaurant to Fire Station 1)
- 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. – 55th Annual Wellesley Veterans Parade – 2023 Theme: Birth of Our Nation: Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Boston Tea Party — 1773-2023. Route is Washington Street (Rt 16) through to Central Street in Wellesley Square - Wellesley Celebrations Committee. Meet the 2023 Parade Honorees.
- 4:30 p.m. to Dusk – Picnic in the Park at Hunnewell Field, Food by Captain Marden’s and others, *Food, *drinks, *kids’ rides, crafts, games, *ponies, and more.
- 6 p.m. – Concert for Wellesley at Hunnewell Field. Featuring music by The Reminisants and a musical theatre performance by the Wellesley Theatre Project.
- Dusk – Fireworks! - Hunnewell Field. Sponsors: Roche Bros./Sudbury Farms and Needham Bank
Events marked with an asterisk (*) may require a small fee.
Roads in Wellesley's commercial areas will be closed on Sunday, May 21 for these events. Please plan accordingly.
Wheels of Wellesley Antique Car Show
- 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. - Central Street (Rt 135) in Wellesley Square will be closed from Abbott Street to Weston Road. A detour will be set up.
55th Annual Wellesley Veterans Parade
Roads closed to traffic:
- 11:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Washington Street between Oakland Street and Rt 9
- 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Washington Street from Oakland to Central Street, including ramps from Rt 9 east & west to Rt 16 in Wellesley Hills.
All roads should re-open at approximately 4:00 p.m. Temporary NO PARKING signs will be posted along the parade route. Vehicles parked in these areas will be towed.