Serve our community as the Wellesley Veterans' Graves and Ceremonial Officer.
The Select Board is seeking a Wellesley resident who is a military Veteran to fill this position. This individual will help make sure local Veterans, both living and deceased, are properly recognized for their service.
Graves Officer duties include:
- Working with local cemeteries to make sure the graves of Wellesley Veterans are well maintained
- Placing flags on all Veterans' graves every Memorial Day
- Maintaining Veterans' death records and grave locations
The Graves Officer also may be asked to attend wakes, funerals and assist with gravesite ceremonies for Veterans.
As Ceremonial Officer, this individual will work with the Town Veterans Services Officer (VSO) to organize and support four annual holiday observances: Memorial Day (May 30), Flag Retirement Day (June 14), National Patriot's Day (September 11), and Veterans/Armistice Day (November 11).
Specific duties for these observances may involve:
- Scheduling speakers and requesting police and fire color guards
- Preparing programs, advertising and invitations for dignitaries
- Organizing refreshments, providing flags, and assisting with other duties as needed
The Town will provide an annual stipend of $2,500 to the Veteran serving in this role.
Interested individuals should contact the Select Board Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 781-431-1019 ext. 2200.