The 125th Boston Marathon will take place on Monday, October 11, 2021. There will be significant road closures in Wellesley all day.
The Boston Marathon route divides Wellesley in half. The race enters Wellesley on Central Street (Rt. 135) at the Natick line near Wellesley College, and proceeds east on Central Street through Wellesley Square.
The race then continues on Washington Street (Rt. 16) eastbound through Wellesley Hills and into the Lower Falls. The race leaves Wellesley on Washington Street at the Newton line.
The only way to cross over the route with a motor vehicle is to use Route 9 (Worcester Street) underneath Route 16 (Washington Street).
The following road closures will be in effect:
- Central Street (Rt. 135) will be closed from the Natick line to Grove Street.
- Washington Street (Rt. 16) will be closed from Grove Street to the Newton line.
Roads will close at 7:30 a.m. on October 11 and will remain closed until the end of the race. Roads are expected to reopen at 3:00 p.m. Please note this is an approximate reopening time.
There will be no traffic allowed across the race route once the road is closed. Vehicles parked in parking lots along the route will not be allowed to leave until the road is open.
Please note: Central Street, from Weston Road to Grove Street, and Washington Street, from Grove Street to Wellesley Avenue will have barricades in place on Sunday, October 10, starting at 9:00 p.m. No parking will be allowed on these sections of Washington Street and Central Street until the race has concluded the next day.
There will be some temporary ‘No Parking’ areas that will be posted close to the Boston Marathon route. Any vehicles parked in these temporary no parking zones will be towed and removed.
Other temporary no parking zones include:
- Curve Street on the west side from Linden to Crest
- Crest Road on the west side from Linden to Curve
- Howe Street on the south side from Weston to Curve
- Weston Road on the east side from Linden to Turner
- Central Street from Weston to Grove
- Linden Street from Weston Road to Crest Road (both sides of the road)
- Wellesley Ave from Washington to Atwood
- Woodlawn, near the DPW entrance
- Garden Road one side to Colburn
- Colburn Road one side
- Chestnut Street one side
- Washington Street on both sides from Grove to the Newton line
- River Street
- Wareland Road
- Brook Street from Wellesley Ave to Amherst Road
Follow the Wellesley Police Department on Facebook and Twitter (@WellesleyPolice) for real time updates during the Boston Marathon.