- Departments G-N
- Health & Wellness
- Healthy Wellesley
Healthy Wellesley is a wellness initiative. Its mission is to promote a healthy lifestyle, identify the bounty of health and wellness resources in Wellesley, and present programming to positively affect the health of residents across the age spectrum.
BackgroundThe towns of Needham and Wellesley received a mini-grant award for three years from the West Suburban Community Health Network Area 18 (CHNA 18), to enhance the efforts of the Eat Well/Be Fit Committee in Needham, and examine whether replication of this model in Wellesley could help the Health Department forge new partnerships with town departments (i.e. the schools, youth commission, recreation, council on aging, natural resources commission/trails committee, and animal control), Newton-Wellesley Hospital, as well as businesses and organizations grappling with childhood, adult and senior obesity and healthy lifestyle issues. Out of this exploration, the Healthy Wellesley Initiative was borne. Many successful events, classes, campaigns, workshops and seminars have been offered. Healthy Wellesley is now a known entity in the community, and its programs and events are highly regarded and anticipated.
Events, Classes & TrainingsHealthy Wellesley events, classes, trainings have included:
- Strive for Five (community-wide fruit and vegetable of the month initiative)
- Healthy Cooking for One or Two
- Tots and Tails on Trails Walk
- Speakers (including Gary Marino of the Million Calorie March)
- Finding Time for Fitness, Food and Fun...for Busy Parents on the Run
- Staying Sane - Maintaining a Healthy Brain
- Yoga for Planes, Trains, Automobiles...and Oh Yes - Office Chairs
- Mindful Movement for Balance, Posture and Fall Prevention
- Healthy Eating for Mid-Life and Beyond
- Dog Contest - Fun and Health for Pets and Their "People"
- Tick Tock, It's a "Tick Talk"
- Looking at Your Skin from the Outside In
- Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency 101 (MEMA 101)
- Women's Health - Myths and Misconceptions
- Hazards in the Home with a Live Fire Safety Training
- CPR and AED Training
- First Aid Training
- Narcan training
- Emergency Preparedness Begins at Home
- Adult Depression, Anxiety and Stress - navigating the system to obtain help