Codes and Applications
All building and construction activity in the Commonwealth is regulated by the MA State Building Code (780 CMR). Most, but not all construction projects will require a building permit, which are issued by the Inspectors in the Town’s Building Department. For new construction, review of a permit application generally takes ten (10) to fourteen (14) days. Reviews for other project types may be shorter.
- Building Permit Application Forms
- Building Permit Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Building Permit FAQs (PDF)
- List of Required Inspections (PDF)
- Residential Building Permit Checklist (PDF)
- Commercial Building Permit Checklist (PDF)
Plumbing / Gas
All plumbing and gas work in the Commonwealth is regulated by the Uniform State Plumbing Code (248 CMR 10.00). Permits for plumbing and gas fitting may be issued to licensed individuals only by the Plumbing & Gas Inspector in the Town’s Building Department.
- Uniform Application for Plumbing Work (PDF)
- Uniform Application for Gas Fitting Work (PDF)
- Plumbing and Gas Fitting Fee Schedule (PDF)
The MA Electrical Code (527 CMR 12.00), issued by the Board of Fire Prevention Regulations, consists of the 2017 National Electric Code, plus certain amendments. Electrical permits are issued by the Electrical Inspector in the Town’s Building Department.
- Uniform Application to Perform Electrical Work (PDF)
- Electrical Permit Fee Schedule (PDF)
Rules and regulations governing sheet metal workers in the Commonwealth are established in 271 CMR 2.00-9.00 by the Board of Examiners of Sheet Metal Workers. Permits for sheet metal work are issued by Inspectors in the Town’s Building Department.
- Guidance on Residential Sheet Metal Permits (PDF)
- Guidance on Commercial Sheet Metal Permits (PDF)
- Application for Sheet Metal Permit (PDF)
- Sheet Metal Permit Fee Schedule (PDF)
The Town of Wellesley adopted the MA Stretch Energy Code in 2011. This code consists of the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) 2009, plus certain amendments in 780 CMR 115.AA. The purpose of this code is to provide a more energy efficient alternative to the base energy code for new and existing buildings. This code applies to new residential buildings, renovations of or additions to existing residential buildings, new commercial buildings, and additions to existing commercial buildings.