Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.

Voter Questions and Answers
Voter Registration and Voting Questions and Answers


Q. When is the next election in Wellesley

  • Annual Town election 2018.
Q. When is the Annual Town Election for 2018?
A. March 2018
        Voters will elect the members of the Town-Wide Boards and the Town Meeting Members for each precinct.
        The current list of elected officials and Town Meeting Members are posted elsewhere on this site.

Q.When is the last day to register to vote in order to be eligible to vote in any election?
A.The last day to register to vote for each election is 20 days prior to that date.  The Town Clerk’s office will be open until 8 PM.  You many register to vote as long as you will turn eighteen (18) years of age on or prior to election day.

  • TBA
Q.      How do I register to vote?
A. You may register to vote in person at the Town Clerk’s office which is located at 525 Washington Street or you may download a voter registration form at and mail it in to the Town Clerk’s office or drop it off at our office.
        You may now register on-line if you have a valid Massachusetts RMV ID number (drivers license or state issued ID). Click on link above to register online.  
        If you pick up a registration form at another location (including another Town Clerk’s office), or a voter registration drive, it may be mailed or dropped off at the Town Clerk’s office.

Q. Do I need identification to register to vote?
A. You do not need to show identification to register to vote.  However, the voter is required to provide identification information on the form; either the last four digits of your social security number or your driver’s license number.  If you do not have that information when you register to vote you will be asked to show identification at the polls the first time that you vote in that location. The identification required at the polls must include the address at which you registered.    

Q.How do I know if I am registered to vote?
A. If you registered recently you will receive a confirmation notice from the Town Clerk’s office confirming your registration and indicating your polling location.  If you are not sure if you received a confirmation notice or would like to confirm your registration, call the Town Clerk’s office at 781-431-1019 ext 2258 and any member of the staff will be able to help you.  The Town Clerk’s office is open Monday – Friday  8 AM-5 PM.

Q. I registered to vote at the Registry of Motor Vehicles or online but did not receive a confirmation notice from the Town, what should I do?
A.      If you registered to vote or think that you registered to vote at the Registry of Motor Vehicles or online, you will receive a confirmation letter as well.  These registrations are sent to us electronically through a statewide system.  We urge you to call the Town Clerk’s office to confirm your registration if you have not received a confirmation letter.

Q. If I move and changed my address at the Post Office does my voter registration transfer to my new community or my new address within Wellesley?
A. No.  You must re-register to vote in your new community.  If you have moved within Wellesley you must inform the Town Clerk in writing to vote at your new address.

Q.      How do I find out where I vote?
A.This link will allow you to enter your address to determine where you vote. You may also call the Town Clerk’s office and any member of the staff will be able to help you.  

Q. What are the voting precincts in Wellesley?
A. Wellesley has 8 voting precincts. Maps for each precinct can be found at this link

Q. Why were the voting precincts changed in 2011?
A. Federal law requires a redrawing of precinct lines every 10 years to balance population. Each precinct can have no more than 4000 residents. In 2010 Federal Census Wellesley's population had grown slightly and we were required to add a new precinct. All areas of town were then redrawn to accommodate the new precinct. These precinct lines will be in effect until 2021 or later. the Board of Selectmen considered multiple options in the winter/spring of 2011 and held public hearings before designating the new precinct lines in June of 2011.
        All residents whose precinct was changed received a notice during October 2012 with information on the new precinct voting places.

Q. Why did I receive a postcard about registration status?
A. The laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires cities and towns to conduct an annual census to determine whether voters still reside at their registered address.
If a voter does not return the census then that voter is declared "inactive" until his/her residence can be confirmed. A postcard is sent to every household with an inactive voter to inquire as to their residency status.

  • If the voter is still resident in Wellesley then return of the postcard with signature(s) restores the voter to active status. If the postcard is not returned then the voter will be required to show identification proving continued residence in Wellesley the next time the voter checks in to vote.
  • If the voter has moved to a new address in Wellesley return of the card permits the Town Clerk to update the new address.
  • If the voter has moved from Wellesley the voter should return the card with their new state/town of residence to allow Wellesly to remove the voter from the list of voters in Wellesley.
Q. What are the polling places for Wellesley?
Precinct A
Bates School- Cafeteria
116 Elmwood Road
Precinct B
Sprague School- Gym
401 School Street
Precinct C
Upham School- Gym
35 Wynnewood Road
Precinct D
Schofield School- Gym
27 Cedar Street
Precinct E
Fiske School- Gym
45 Hastings Street
Precinct F
142 Grove Street
Precinct G
Wellesley Free Library- Wakelin Room
530 Washington Street
Enter from Rear Parking Lot
Precinct H
Wellesley High School
50 Rice Street
Band Room

Q.      Do I need to show ID at the polls?
A.      Massachusetts does not have a voter ID law. The only time that you will be asked for identification is if you are a first time voter and did not provide identification information at the time you registered to vote or if you are an inactive voter.  A voter may become inactive when they or the head of household does not return the annual Town census also known as the street listing mailed in January every year.  An “inactive” voter will be asked for identification that shows that they live at the address at which they are registered and they will be asked to sign an affirmation of continuous residency.  You may change your voter status from inactive to active by re-registering to vote or completing the annual street listing.

Q. What is EARLY VOTING? STATE ELECTIONS ONLY (November 2018 is the next state election)
A. New legislation, effective for the November 2016 Election allows all registered voters to vote prior to election day at your convenience without required an excuse for absentee balloting. This is only availalbe at general state elections, not primaries, special elections or municipal elections.

Q.      Who can vote absentee?
A.      In Massachusetts, according to the Secretary of the Commonwealth, voters may vote by absentee ballot “if they will be absent from the town on election day, and/or have a physical disability which prevents them from voting at their polling location, and/or cannot vote at the polls due to religious beliefs”.
        Convenience early voting is not permitted in Massachusetts.

Q.      How can I get an absentee ballot?
A.  You may get an application for an absentee ballot in the Town Clerk’s office or you may download the application at the following link: Absentee Ballot applications
        The application must be submitted to the Town Clerk’s office no later than 12 PM (Noon) the day prior to an election.  All absentee ballots must be completed following the instructions which are included when they are mailed out. You may also vote, after completing an absentee ballot application, in the Town Clerk’s office during business hours if you find that you will not be able to vote on Election Day for any of the reasons that entitle you to vote absentee.  Completed absentee ballots must be received by 8 PM (the time the polls close) on election day.  A completed absentee ballot, appropriately signed and sealed, may be dropped off at the Town Clerk’s office but may NOT be delivered directly to the polling location.
Q.      May I request an absentee ballot for my family member?
A.  Yes, you may fill out the form entitled “Absentee ballot application by a family member”. It is available at the Town Clerk’s office or at the above link.You may request an absentee ballot be mailed to a family member. You may not take it with you to give to them.  The absentee ballot, when it is returned must be sealed following the instructions which are provided to the voter. This ballot may be mailed or dropped off at the Town Clerk’s office.

Q.      I am Active Duty Military or a US citizen living outside the continental United States, how can I vote?
A.      The link below has very detailed information regarding voting for citizens who live either permanently or temporarily outside of the country and for voting for members of the military and their families.UOCAVA VOTERS.

Please call us at 781-431-1019 ext 2258 if you have any other questions or need additional information.  The Town Clerk’s office is located on the first floor of Town Hall at 525 Washington Street.  Our office hours are Monday – Friday 8am - 5 pm.

Wellesley Town Hall  525 Washington St., Wellesley, MA 02482
Phone: (781) 431-1019
Home    Meeting Calendar    Contact Us    Policies    Virtual Towns & Schools Website